Looking to master the art of American BBQ? Get ready to elevate your grilling game with the best American BBQ cookbooks and recipe books.
Uncover mouthwatering recipes and expert techniques that will have you impressing your friends and family at every backyard cookout.
Discover the secrets behind tender ribs, juicy burgers, and smoky brisket.
Whether you’re a seasoned pitmaster or a BBQ beginner, these essential resources will guide you on a finger-licking journey through the world of American BBQ. Get ready to fire up the grill and unleash your inner BBQ maestro!
Top 8 American BBQ Cookbooks
Here is the list of American BBQ Cookbooks
- Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto by Aaron Franklin and Jordan Mackay – Best Overall
- Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling by Meathead Goldwyn and Greg Blonder – Editor’s Choice
- The Prophets of Smoked Meat: A Journey Through Texas Barbecue by Daniel Vaughn – Best for Texas BBQ
- Whole Hog Barbecue: The Gospel of Carolina Barbecue with Recipes from Skylight Inn and Sam Jones BBQ by Sam Jones and Daniel Vaughn – Best for Carolina BBQ
- Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison – Best for Smoky Flavors
- Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ Book: Recipes and Secrets from a Legendary Barbecue Joint by Chris Lilly – Best for Alabama BBQ
- BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America by Steven Raichlen – Best for Regional Variety
- Smokin’ with Myron Mixon: Recipes Made Simple, from the Winningest Man in Barbecue by Myron Mixon and Kelly Alexander – Best for Competition-Style BBQ
Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto by Aaron Franklin and Jordan Mackay
Franklin Barbecue by Aaron Franklin and Jordan Mackay is our pick for the Best Overall American BBQ cookbook.
This much-anticipated debut offers a master class in perfectionist technique, unlocking the secrets behind truly great barbecue.
The authors gracefully and economically explain the history and concept of barbecue, making it accessible to everyone, regardless of their familiarity with Texas barbecue.
Key highlights of the cookbook include:
- Only 11 recipes, focusing on quality over quantity
- Detailed 7.5-page recipe for brisket, showcasing Franklin’s expertise
- Four sauce recipes, along with beans, potato salad, and a remarkably good coleslaw
With its engaging tone and humor, this cookbook is perfect for those looking to elevate their BBQ game.
Meathead The Science of Great Barbecue by Meathead Goldwyn
Meathead by Meathead Goldwyn and Greg Blonder, is a must-have for BBQ enthusiasts.
This definitive guide dives into the concepts, methods, equipment, and accessories of barbecue and grilling.
The book is authored by the founder and editor of the world’s most popular BBQ website, AmazingRibs.com, and a physicist and food science professor.
It has been named one of the “100 Best Cookbooks of All Time” by Southern Living.
With a perfect blend of science and practical tips, this cookbook will elevate your BBQ game to new heights.
The Prophets of Smoked Meat by Daniel Vaughn
Awarded as the “Best for Texas BBQ,” this comprehensive guide takes you on a mouthwatering journey through the heart of Texas barbecue, featuring pit masters’ recipes and tales of the trade.
- Dive into the world of brisket, ribs, beef, and pork, exploring the nuances of mesquite and oak.
- Get expert guidance on which barbecue destinations are worth a road trip and which ones to pass up.
- Enjoy the stunning photography by Nicholas McWhirter that captures the essence of Texas BBQ.
Grab your copy and let your taste buds embark on a smoky adventure!
Whole Hog Barbecue by Sam Jones and Daniel Vaughn
This is the ultimate guide for Carolina BBQ enthusiasts, earning it the title of “Best for Carolina BBQ.”
This cookbook dives deep into the history and techniques of Eastern NC BBQ pork, sharing the Jones family’s perfected recipe.
It provides step-by-step instructions on cooking their famous whole hog barbecue, staying true to the traditional wood-fired cooking method.
With a blend of mouthwatering recipes, engaging storytelling, and a focus on the importance of BBQ in North Carolina culture, this book is a must-have for anyone looking to master the art of Carolina BBQ.
Smoke & Spice by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison
This cookbook is a must-have for BBQ enthusiasts looking to master the art of smoky flavors.
This award-winning cookbook, dubbed “Best for Smoky Flavors,” is packed with over 300 mouthwatering recipes and tons of tips and information to elevate your backyard cookouts.
The Jamisons’ passion and wit shine through as they guide you on a delicious journey through American home cooking and barbecue culture.
So, fire up your smoker, grab a copy of “Smoke & Spice,” and get ready to impress your friends and family with your newfound smoky BBQ prowess!
Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ Book by Chris Lilly
Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ Book by Chris Lilly is our pick for the Best for Alabama BBQ. This cookbook is a treasure trove of mouthwatering recipes and secrets from the award-winning Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q. With this book, you’ll learn:
- The lowdown on their famous seasonings and combinations
- How to create delicious dry rubs, glazes, sauces, and slathers
- Tips and tricks from the six-time World Championship BBQ Cook-Off winners
Get ready to impress your friends and family with your newfound Alabama BBQ skills!
BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America by Steven Raichlene
It is a finger-lickin’ good cookbook that celebrates the best of regional live-fire cooking.
Awarded “Best for Regional Variety,” this book covers 450 recipes from every state, including Canada and Puerto Rico.
Not only does it offer a wide range of mouthwatering recipes, but it also features epic pictures and personal stories from the author, showcasing the real BBQ culture.
Neatly organized by categories, this cookbook is perfect for BBQ enthusiasts who want to explore the diverse flavors of American barbecue.
So, grab your tongs and embark on a delicious journey with Steven Raichlen’s BBQ USA!
Smokin’ with Myron Mixon by Myron Mixon and Kelly Alexander
It is a must-have for anyone looking to master competition-style BBQ.
This cookbook offers more than just recipes; it provides valuable insights into Myron’s life and experiences in the world of competitive barbecue.
With a 4.6 out of 5 stars rating from over 4,592 reviews on Amazon, this book is a proven winner.
Some highlights include:
- Easy-to-follow recipes that have helped Myron win over 180 grand championships
- A mix of stories and recipes that showcase Myron’s killer instinct and passion for BBQ
Get ready to impress your friends and family with mouthwatering BBQ dishes straight from the winningest man in barbecue.
Final Say So!
From Texas brisket to Carolina pulled pork, the world of American BBQ is vast and flavorful.
With these top BBQ cookbooks, you’re armed with the secrets of the pitmasters.
Whether you’re a novice or a seasoned griller, these books promise to elevate your BBQ game.
So, don your apron, fire up that grill, and let the smoky adventures begin!