Butternut squash has become one of my favorite foods. I have been roasting it, putting it in soups and this amazing salad. You can even buy it already cut into cubes saving you a lot of time. This salad will keep for several days in the refrigerator. Put it in mason jars for a quick grab and go lunch or dinner.
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 tbsp olive or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 container baby kale chopped
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped and toasted
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa cooked
- 1/2 cup dried figs chopped (or any dried fruit)
- 2 cups apples chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp shallots chopped
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place squash in pan.
Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Toss to coat.
Roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
In a large bowl combine kale, walnuts, quinoa, figs, apples, squash and cheese. Toss gently; set aside.
Whisk 1 tbsp olive oil, orange juice, zest, and mustard in a small bowl until combined.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pour dressing over the salad.